Sunday, November 30, 2014

Happy 1st Advent!

Just when I thought that things couldn't become crazier, they did.... but I'll save that story/stories for another time...

For now, I just want to wish everyone a very happy 1st advent! This year, we decided to follow a more Swedish tradition where small gifts are given every day (from December 1 - 24) and on Christmas (ie: December 24), a "special" gift is given. The gifts can be a new book, small toy, gift card for small amount, fun school supplies, candy.... I thought that it could be fun to do something new and introduce the boys to a bit more of their family traditions and culture. Anyway, flash forward to last night when I was up to 1:30 in the morning, wrapping 24 small gifts for each boy. Just to save you the math: THAT WAS 72 FREAKING GIFTS TO WRAP!!! I started off wrapping each gift with a bow, tag and careful/thoughtful presentation. By the time I hit December 18, the wrapping consisted mostly of tape and tissue paper ;) Andreas deserted me somewhere around, hmmmm, maybe DECEMBER 2???!!!! The rest of the evening was me, the cats trying to undo any sort of wrapping that I did, a bottle of beer (OK... multiple bottles of beer) and 72 small packets.

Would I do it again? Actually, yes :) The boys, hesitant at first because they weren't sure if this "new" tradition was a rip off or a good thing, really appreciated seeing all the small gifts. It makes the house a bit more festive. Andreas bought the boys a small tree for their room so we will be decorating it this afternoon. The big tree is next weekend...

Hope you all have a great day xox


That was a lot of wrapping!!!

Nicka's part of the table top

I didn't notice it before but there is even a little Alexander peaking out :)

The plant is left over from our usual home decor and not a really crappy kid present ;)

2 comments:

  1. What a feast all those packets for the boys from now until Christmas!
    I say you done great create family traditions. They remember!
    Our Christmas preparations may only begin after the Sinterklaas celebration on December 5.
    Thanks for sharing, X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ageeth! It was lots of work yesterday but, today, I am happy that I don't have to worry about Christmas shopping anymore ;) Looking forward to your DIY posts- they are inspiring! xox

      Delete